Bur Dubai area is popularly known as the "Old City". Here you can take a trip to the past and see what Dubai looked like decades ago. Here, on the western shore of Dubai Creek, ancient architecture has been perfectly preserved. Today it is a lively shopping area with dozens of cultural attractions. It includes the following communities - Al Jaffiliya, Al Karama, Oud Metha, Al Hudaiba, Al Mina, Al Mankhool, Dubai Maritime City and Umm Hurair 2. Below you can view a video guide of the area, showing all the streets, buildings and hotels:
Bur Dubai district can be called the historical center of the emirate, but not the geographical one, since the district is located in the eastern part of the city. Further in the article we will consider life in this neighborhood - prices for the purchase and rental of housing: apartments and villas; places worth visiting; We will also tell you about local hotels.
Description of Bur Dubai area
The name of the district in Arabic means "main land". This explains the status of Bur Dubai in the pre-oil era when the area was an urban center. At that time, the wasteland was spread on the site of Downtown, and the territory of Jumeirah was decorated with fishing settlements. As before, the Bur Dubai district is the administrative center, with state departments, the administration of the emirate, and consulates of foreign states.
In Bur Dubai, not only the old Al-Fahidi Fort, which served until the 1970s as the residence of local sheikhs, has been preserved, but also the houses of dignitaries and wealthy citizens - today all museums. The old city with the colorful architecture of Dubai is located in this area. In the old town there is also a wonderful promenade along which you can take a walk. Well, for those who want to feel the flavor of the old city, we recommend a ride on a wooden boat with locals along the Creek, which separates the Deira and Bur Dubai areas.
Location of Bur Dubai
Bur Dubai is the historical center and is located in the east of the city, in the western part of the Dubai Creek channel. On the east side, across the canal, is the Deira region, on the western side, the Downtown and Jumeirah regions. Below you can find the approximate distance to the attractions of the emirate from this point:
You can get to these and other places by public transport, which is well developed here. There are 9 metro stations in the area - Red and Green lines. In addition, the local population actively uses buses and water taxis. The only negative can be considered a small number of free parking spaces. However, in the case of purchasing real estate in a new building, you will not have problems with parking. Next, we propose to consider the location of the neighborhood on the map.
Bur Dubai on the map
Note: To zoom, use the mouse wheel, the "+" and "-" buttons, or zoom in with your fingers.
As you can see on the map of Dubai, the district has a good infrastructure, connecting the central zones of the emirate with Deira. The districts are connected via the Floating bridge, Al Maktoum and Al Shindagha tunnel.
Hotels in Bur Dubai area
The Bur Dubai area is known for a good selection of hotels in different categories. It is possible to accommodate a tourist with any budget in a comfortable, clean room. Cheap hotels with good reviews can be booked from AED 140 for a double room for 1 night. Important: be prepared for an additional tax per night of AED 20 and hotel service charges of 15 to 25%. The total price will be indicated on the hotel booking card.
If you want to stay on a budget and at the same time get great service, delicious varied breakfasts, a clean pool and comfortable rooms with stunning views, we recommend the Majestic City Retreat Hotel, which has been checked by our editors in Bur Dubai. By the way, the hotel also offers a free shuttle service to La Mer Beach. The view from the balcony of one of the rooms at the Majestic City Retreat Hotel in Bur Dubai offers views of all of Dubai's famous landmarks.
If you want an average price for a hotel and a convenient location, then we recommend that you focus on the location of the hotels highlighted below in the picture in the red box. The distance to the metro is 5-7 minutes, while the price tag is very affordable, there are food, equipment and clothing stores nearby. Despite the fact that the average prices in Bur Dubai are higher than in Deira, you can stay here with great comfort, and the star category of the hotel will correspond to the declared quality of service.
Things to do in Bur Dubai
There are many historical sights, museums and amusement parks in the area. Top things to see:
- Dolphinarium is the only dolphinarium in the emirate with a show of dolphins, fur seals and other marine life. Tickets on this site;
- The AYA universe is a must-visit place for everyone! You find yourself in a world of amazing illusions, something incredibly futuristic. Be sure to look at the photo and book a ticket online on the website.
- Zabeel Park - a large park with thematic exhibitions of ice sculptures and dinosaurs, a green area with 10,000 trees - more;
- The Dubai Frame is an observation deck overlooking the old city and the new district. In the frame, in addition to the observation deck, there is a museum that tells about the past and future of the city. You can book your discounted ticket online. The place is a must visit. The frame, as it were, connects 2 worlds - the past (small houses, the Creek) and the future (skyscrapers, highways, malls).
- Fort Al-Fahidi Museum - the oldest building in the city built in 1787, a former state residence, now a museum with historical exhibits;
- Grand Mosque - built in 1900, with the highest minaret in the city, can accommodate up to 1200 worshipers, but non-Muslims can only see it from the outside;
- Bastakiya is an old merchant quarter built by Iranian merchants at the beginning of the 20th century.
We recommend booking a tour "Dubai Through the Ages". On it you will learn more about the history of the city, see the Old District with historical sights, hear stories about the life of the locals.
Bur Dubai real estate
The area offers a variety of real estate options, from luxury apartments to elegant villas. Buying a real estate for couples is recommended in the neighborhoods of Al-Kifafe or Al-Jaddafe, where the minimum building value is from AED 700,000 and can reach up to 30 million AED. The main types of real estate here are villas, townhouses and apartments, as well as a small number of penthouses.
Here are projects from different developers, each of which has its own characteristics and attractive features. Many builders companies took part in the development of the community. Here are the most popular ones:
- 1. Emaar Properties: This is one of the leading real estate developers in Dubai and their projects are known for their quality and innovative solutions. In Bur Dubai, Emaar Properties presents projects such as "Downtown Views", "The Address Residence Fountain Views" and "The Grand".
- 2. Dubai Properties: This developer also has a significant presence in the Bur Dubai area. Some of his projects include Mudon Views, Manazel Al Khor, and Serena.
- 3. Meraas: Meraas specializes in unique projects that give the area a special character. Their projects include "La Mer", "City Walk" and "Bluewaters Residences".
More other development here such as Bighatti, Azizi, Nakheel, Damac, Union properties, Deyaar and others. By purchasing an apartment in this community, you get a whole package of amenities, which we will discuss later.
Pros of Living in Bur Dubai Real Estate
All districts of Dubai differ from each other in one way or another, such as the variety of budget hotels, the noise level or the quality of the transport interchange. Here are the top benefits of living in the Bur Dubai region:
- You can get to the international airport very quickly - 10 minutes by car.
- Inexpensive cost of rent and purchase of housing.
- Convenient location with many metro stations.
- Historical monuments and sights of ancient culture.
- Variety of cuisine such as Indian, European, Pakistani, Chinese and others.
All these factors are supported by the presence of educational institutions in the community for schoolchildren and young children - Hope Montessori Nursery, Chubby CHeeks Nursery, Dubai Gem Private school, Indian high school, British Orchard Nursery and St. Mary Catholic High School.
Real Estate Investment Bur Dubai
Purchasing property in the Bur Dubai area can be a great investment as the area is popular with tourists and residents alike. Below is a table displaying the average annual rental yield for properties in the Bur Dubai area:
Type of property
|Rent per year in AED
1 bedroom apartments
2 bedroom apartments
3 bedroom apartments
Villas & penthouses
Please note that these values may vary and depend on the condition of the property, its location and market conditions. Before making an investment decision, it is recommended to consult with realtors or professional consultants. Investors purchasing large real estate in Dubai can count on a stable annual income from renting out this property. Thus, the average annual rental price for a four-room apartment is AED 90,000‒120,000 or $32,000. The cost of renting a penthouse with 5 or more rooms is approximately AED 200,000 / USD 54,500.
Real estate prices in Bur Dubai
Property prices in the Bur Dubai area vary depending on the type of property, its location, size and construction condition. Below are approximate prices for various types of properties:
- Studios: from 900,000 AED to 1,500,000 AED. Example: Studio in Sadhwani's condominium complex - 1 000 000 AED.
- 1-bedroom apartments: from 1,200,000 AED to 2,500,000 AED. Example: 1 350 000 AED.
- 2-bedroom apartments: from 1,800,000 AED to 4,000,000 AED. Example: Flat in Tower A | Gate Residences - 1 950 000 AED.
- 3-bedroom apartments: from 2,500,000 AED to 6,000,000 AED. Example: 3 bedroom property in Binghatti Creek - 3 500 000 AED.
- Villas: from 4,000,000 AED to 20,000,000 AED. Example: Prem Thawani Villa 2 - 13 000 000 AED.
Prices may change over time and depend on the current market situation and demand for real estate. As for the demand for rent, it is very high here due to cheap real estate prices. The convenient infrastructure of the neighborhood serves as a reinforcing factor. Here you will find a huge selection of studios and one bedroom apartments for AED 40,000 - 50,000. Flats with 2 bedroom will cost from AED 60,000 to AED 70,000.